Photo above: Uninteresting, worse-for-the-wear oak china cabinet from the 1980's(?). I disassembled the top and the bottom for cleaning and refinishing. Some sort of soup or sauce had been spilled inside over the top of the bottom section and dried. I didn't notice this until I got the piece home. (Icky) :o) Two out of the four glass panels were missing from the top portion and one of the three mirrors inside the cabinet was broken. I carefully removed the broken and intact mirrors and glass panels. I decided not to use the mirrors and glass in my restoration. Instead, I replaced the back panel with bead board paneling and installed wire mesh ("hardware cloth") over the openings that had at one point contained glass. Home Depot and Lowe's have both these items.
Photo above: A view of the bottom portion which has drawer spaces. In the process of removing the spilled sauce.
Photo above: The drawers.
Above photo: The completed reconditioning of the china cabinet. I chose an "antique white" milk paint and produced a very slightly distressed finish. I made and added the two horizonal muntins on each of the side openings to line up with those on the front doors. The cabinet's two glass shelves were in good condition. The light fixture was intact when I bought the piece and only needed a new bulb.
Above photo: Frontal view of the completed china cabinet---with more "now" appeal than its original state.
I'm linking this transformative post to Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home.